I’ve got this old Compaq Presario with: AMD K6 3D, 40 GB Hard Disk, 192 RAM (8 for video). I’ve been spending several hours today with a 7.04 xubuntu Live Cd without success. It couldn’t complete the installation after partitioning: it freeze. The cd runs very slow. I used it because my pc meets the requirements I found at the xubunto web site. My Pc is OK, I’m sure of that. PLEASE: Can anyone tell me what linux distribution can I use for this old pc? I need full internet access (web, mail, etc), word processor, spreadsheet and, if it’s possible, some media. Thank you very much
Ahh, the installation stops in 15%.
I didn’t mention the live CD loads desktop but not the tool bars.
Thank you for your answers guys. A few minutes ago, I found something (here at yahoo answers) about a bug in this xubuntu 7.0.4. I’m looking for the solution now. My installation stops in 15% : “Detecting file systems”. I’ll give xubuntu an opportunity before surrending. HEY LINUX MASTERS: What Can I do?
I’ve been searching. I’ll test the Alternate CD for xubuntu. But I want to try with Small Damn linux, Puppy linux too.
In the past I did’nt like linux but now I’m Interested (I used Unix in a Sun Sparc Station several years ago). Linux people want a Linux World, but all the “easy” guides tha I’ve found about Linux installations… AREN’T FOR HUMANS. That’s a cruel BARRIER. And all that acronyms and modism tech language. When my grandmother cans understand a linux guide, Linux will be ready for dominate the world. Think about it guys.
- Using an external hard drive OS on another machine?
- A Microsoft Free life on a PC….Installing a new OS….?
- Do I have to reinstall windows to install linux?
- Linux installation ?
- need good free video editing software that allows me to crop and have 2 layers of video?
- live cd OS?
- i had a duel boot with windows xp and mandriva linux i upgraded to vista and now the dual boot is gone?
- My computer won’t start, any suggestions?
- What is linux?
- My laptop won’t start up… I turn it on then it says “NTLDR is missing press ctlr+alt+del to restart then I”.